News:

happy 4th of July 2024!

Kevin Eves and his Cpt America scoot-ski (he's local)
and rides this thing everywhere!

Main Menu

Bodywork swap on grom

Started by m in sc, June 18, 2024, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Back to the pearl white bodywork on the Grom.  :clap:  I misplaced the tail section 'somewhere safe' years ago before the 2 stroke swap, and it recently presented itself.  IMHO, especially w the suzuki motor in there now, the white def looks the best IMHO. Only mod i have ot make to the bodywork to accommodate the 2t motor are 2 notches in   front lower fairing to clear the radiator, and a slight relief you cant even see on the LH side to help clear the uni filter.

(it was originally black when I bought it new in late 13).

:vroom:  :toot:

The Red Scourge

Nice, Mark!  I love the Gromit sticker on the tail.  I wouldn't have thought of that one!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

m in sc

thanks. thats actually hand airbrushed & cleared. there were going to be coordinating ones on the sidecover but my buddy Rob had some business 'issues' and it never got finished.

Jung

Oh wow, that must be a handful. Is it a RM125 or 250 engine?

m in sc

lt250r quadracer. its actually very easy to ride and all midrange. signs off around 8k or a hair under

Jung

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

RDryan

Quote from: m in sc on June 18, 2024, 01:05:48 PMlt250r quadracer. its actually very easy to ride and all midrange. signs off around 8k or a hair under

What a handsome bike build, as they say looks factory. Now regarding the power delivery....did you know that going into it with the quadracer engine?...all midrange?...cuz you make it sound kinda safe. :undecided: Have you considered what if it was a bit more wild vs. the mild? and if not then how to get to that point?

I imagine controllable power is tantamount to a bike like that so I'm guessing that you kinda knew what you were aiming for.

m in sc

Thanks. I actually did to a degree. I did NOT want a motocross motor, i had a CR85 motor in a G3 and it was great but a lightswitch. also, the LT motor had a lighting coil. I actually run it all thru the stock (modified) wiring harness including the voltage regulator, etc.

The motor was suggested by a friend (Nick Pastore, the vintage smoke guy).  I was going to go w a blaster motor but he suggested this.

I could fit an RM cyl of get the spare one ported, but it has plenty TBH and signs off at 8k. Tuning was quite a challenge . best case is 32-36 ish HP on a stock motor/pipe. I might be a hair lower than that since the intake is .. a compromise at best but its all down low and midrange. (the intake is about 4.5" long and ha sa hell of a vacuum signal at the carb, a TM32). to the point the jetting is down 1 from stock.

its a counterbalancer motor, and is actually smoother than the stock grom motor was (especially the last iteration 170cc/4v head). the fuel mileage is in the mid to high 30s now, so that's dismal on a 1.6? gallon tank.

safe? sure really is. very tractable. I actually had a custom tiny rear sprocket made for it to keep the wheelie potential way down.

Kawtriplefreak

I rode it. It is awesome  :metal:  :metal: