News:

happy 4th of July 2024!

Kevin Eves and his Cpt America scoot-ski (he's local)
and rides this thing everywhere!

Main Menu

Another jetting question - round 2

Started by rdsarefun, June 01, 2024, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdsarefun

I pulled up some old emails from Chuck Q regarding his recommendations for carb jetting on a similar bike I had machine work performed on. I wanted to go very rich initially and then back off so I put in a 37.5 pilot, 210 main with center clip in middle position and air screw 1 turn out. The bike started first kick, revs easily and doesn't "hang" when spooling down and pulls very hard. When it hits 7K, gotta hold on until I shut it down at 9K as it pulls extremely hard, worlds different and a smile factor.  Idles at 1500 rpm but too much fuel throughout the range as exhaust is a little oily.  I will put in 35 pilot and 200 mains and then test, at some point perform a plug chop.  Thanks for everyone's help, great forum of like enthusiasts.

Jung

That's good to know. I'm nearly finished a similar set up, with home made pipes and port / headwork and was going to start with a 230main / 35pilot combo. Sounds like that will be safe.

rdsarefun

So I had some free time this weekend and changed jetting around to a 35 pilot and a 200 main. The bike was still rich off of idle so I played around with the airscrew setting and changed it from 1.5 turn from seated, to 1 turn and ended up at .5 turns.  Very crisp at this point.  Took it for a rip and it stumbles at 4500 to 6500 and then pulls through up to 9K after hitting 6500 rpm without any stumbling.  Thinking I may drop main jet to 190 and move center needle clip 1 position to drop needle to lean it out some more.  Exhaust is still a little "oily" and plug still dark, not even a hint of brown or tan. Definitely gas and not ignition related

m in sc

fwiw you richend the pilot circuit turning it in. ;) that stumble is notorious on rds. try the needle 1st before touching the main jet.

rdsarefun

Thanks,  that is sound as it moves just one data point as opposed to 2 and is quicker to perform. Much appreciated

rdsarefun

Dropped the needle 1 slot and retested, cured the bog. Running pretty good, next step is new plugs and a chop test.