News:

Early & Late FPP representing at the local bike night

:olaf:

Main Menu

RD400: Rear Wheel Install hell

Started by gardenhosebusabottle, June 13, 2024, 12:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardenhosebusabottle

So Judy duty bought a brand new BT46 for the RD400.  That rear wheel can be a bitch to install.  Especially w/ the "floating metal spacer" inside the mag that never wants to stay center when you slide the axle through <insert 4 letter words w/ gusto>.

It's been awhile since i've worked on the ole' RD.

Any speed tips or advice on making the install as quck and easy as possible.  I do have it on center stand and the stock pipes off.  Take the chain off (non o-ring) too as when i put the new chain on i made it as short as possible to have a quick turn wheel base.

it runs good w/ the Chuck Q carb/airbox mods.  No problems.

P.S.:  I'll be doing this myself w/ no helper...so you know.. ...like Rossi would say..., "ahh....fu*k!"

Yamanatic

Of Course It's Gonna Make Some Noise - There's GAS Exploding In There!

m in sc

that spacer should center in the bearing on one side and be fairly well captured on the other. if you use a smaller rod to get it all in place 1st in place of the axle, then slide the axle in pushing the smaller rod out, (can be a very long extension, screwdriver, etc) its easier. .02

Yamanatic

Make a collar:

gardenhosebusabottle

gardenhosebusabottle

Quote from: m in sc on June 14, 2024, 11:59:02 AMthat spacer should center in the bearing on one side and be fairly well captured on the other. if you use a smaller rod to get it all in place 1st in place of the axle, then slide the axle in pushing the smaller rod out, (can be a very long extension, screwdriver, etc) its easier. .02

haha...that is EXACTLY what I did! 

Thank you for the useful tip!!  I used a long steel "punch" rod.  What also made the install painless was using a small wheel chock laid sideways for the "flat head" shovel to "teeter" on (brick works too!) and raise the  rear wheel.  XR700 is working just fine.  Nice, not having to deal w/ pesky chambers.

w/o that rod it would be a nightmare!

NOTE:  saw a "tip" on how to keep the brake pads "spread".  Some guy on youtube w/ a y/black RD...funny name, just can't remember.   I used an old white plastic throttle cable OEM tie sandwiched between the pads to make it easier for the brake disc to "slot" in place. 

gardenhosebusabottle

Quote from: Yamanatic on June 14, 2024, 12:27:49 PMMake a collar:

I'm not sure how that works. Wouldn't you have to push the bearings out to do that?

Yamanatic

Sorry for the late reply; yes, you would have to tap one of the bearings out (they come out easily) to get at the collar. I've done exactly that with race bikes to speed up wheel changes - no fishing!