News:

Early & Late FPP representing at the local bike night

:olaf:

Main Menu

Coil question

Started by Czakky, May 29, 2019, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I will try and post pics as soon as I can.

2t Fan

Hello

What plug wire i should use with Dynatek 3 ohm DC3-1 coils ? Which type connectors on either side ? bit confused

RDFL

Cap will screw on, 7mm copper core wire.

2t Fan

ok, and code for the terminals to be used at the coil ens and cap end ? Dynatek wire DW-800 is ideal ?

rd400canuck

Quote from: Czakky on June 04, 2019, 12:20:31 PM

What became of this? I'm curious to know

SUPERTUNE

Dyna high power coils are fine using static suppression wires, use copper core wires on most stock Yamaha coils.
I would buy the DW-1200 wire set not the DW-800 this way you don't have to buy/change plug caps to 90* degrees ones.
(when using static suppression wires DON'T use 5K resistor caps)

I do admit this is the only Harley part on my RD Yamaha! (they came with my dyna coils)

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Czakky

Quote from: rd400canuck on November 17, 2019, 07:57:53 AM
Quote from: Czakky on June 04, 2019, 12:20:31 PM

What became of this? I'm curious to know
I had a seizure, eventually found it was due to oil starvation. I tried two different oil pumps rebuilt both of them, same issue in the left cylinder. I've now got a third oil pump at Chuck's to be rebuilt along with a whole lot of other parts.

2t Fan

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on November 17, 2019, 08:04:14 AM
Dyna high power coils are fine using static suppression wires, use copper core wires on most stock Yamaha coils.
I would buy the DW-1200 wire set not the DW-800 this way you don't have to buy/change plug caps to 90* degrees ones.
(when using static suppression wires DON'T use 5K resistor caps)

I do admit this is the only Harley part on my RD Yamaha! (they came with my dyna coils)

Chuck

Thanks...plug cap on it is suitable for nut type or stud terminal  ?

SUPERTUNE

The DW-1200 use the tops with them, not the terminal stem.
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

rd400canuck

Thanks for quick reply :)
Scary how something like oil starvation can mimic ignition problems. These old two-strokes can be a real pain sometimes. I had an RD400G and it never ran properly after a complete rebuild. It was one thing after the next and it was always such a chore to try and diagnose it.

paul1478

Pre mix is a pain and messy having to carry that oil around. I don't like it much at all. But what I like less is having an issue with an oil pump like you did.
So pre-mix it is.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

rd400canuck

Maybe for the amount I will drive this thing... odd evening and weekend jaunt I might go the premix route as well. I could just have one of those little bottles under the seat ready and measured for a tank of gas in case I need it.