News:

Early & Late FPP representing at the local bike night

:olaf:

Main Menu

RD Fork Damper Holding Tool?

Started by The Red Scourge, November 10, 2019, 11:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

I'm pulling apart my RD400 forks.  When I've rebuilt previous damper style forks, I'm able to get the damper loose using an impact gun.  Not so, this time.  I'm looking for some direction on how to make a damper holding tool.  Looking at them from the top through the form tubes, there doesn't appear to be a slot to lock into.  Thanks in advance!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

RDFL

Did you leave spring in and cap on?

The Red Scourge

Yep, still wouldn't budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

RDFL

Was it spinning or bolt just would not turn? If bolt wouldn't turn see if any of your friends has an electric impact gun they are stronger and have more of a hammer effect.

The Red Scourge

The bolt spins freely at this point and the damper spins with it.  I have an 18v impact I'm using.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

Organicjedi

If I remember correctly, I either jammed the side rod with a pry bar and then hit the bolt with an impact or I found a socket that was just big enough to grab a bit on the dome of the rod. Whatever I did it was MacGyver style but worked to stop it from spinning. I had a buddy with me to keep pressure on the rod while I used the air gun.

I've seen modified sockets for this too. I can't remember the size, but the damper top has a two parallel flat sides that you can cut into a socket.

You can buy a tool, but it's one of those things that you'll buy probably use once and it'll sit in a drawer.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: Organicjedi on November 10, 2019, 01:23:25 PM
If I remember correctly, I either jammed the side rod with a pry bar and then hit the bolt with an impact or I found a socket that was just big enough to grab a bit on the dome of the rod. Whatever I did it was MacGyver style but worked to stop it from spinning. I had a buddy with me to keep pressure on the rod while I used the air gun.

I've seen modified sockets for this too. I can't remember the size, but the damper top has a two parallel flat sides that you can cut into a socket.

You can buy a tool, but it's one of those things that you'll buy probably use once and it'll sit in a drawer.
Ok thanks.  I'll take a look at the damper online and try to mock up a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

Organicjedi

Here's an example of a tool someone made

The Red Scourge

Oooohhhh, that's where the flat side are.  That should be no problem then.  Looking from the top, it looks totally round.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

Brad-Man

I use a tool called a 'Gator Grip' to untighten and put back in...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

RDFL

Quote from: Brad-Man on November 10, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
That's a great idea.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: Brad-Man on November 10, 2019, 02:23:06 PM
Ill have to get one of those.

I was able to make this, I thought it was pretty slick.  No dice.  Damper just spins inside it, the metal isn't strong enough.  This thing is seriously tight!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

Hawaii-Mike

Try a piece of galvanized pipe.  I used one for a KZ900 fork damper holder.  Just bend two sides far enough in until they will hold the flats on the damper.  Cheap tool if you have some pipe sitting around.

The Red Scourge

So I got the dampers no problem using the Gator Grip method.  On to the next debacle!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR